Diverse student organizations: The importance of diversity

Graphic by Aracely Chavez
Student organizations create diverse areas on campus and emphasize the importance of diversity in higher education.

Asian Student Union

The Asian Student Union promotes the diversity of Asian cultures. It serves as a safe space for Asian students and educates students on Asian heritage.

Midori Matsuura, senior political science major and ASU vice president, said ASU would like people to know about Asian culture and what they cherish in the culture.

Attendees smile at the Lantern Let Go event hosted by the Asian Student Union Nov. 30, 2023, in the Business and Engineering Center. (Photo courtesy of Mikayla Collins)

“I think cultural aspects is a huge thing,” Matsuura said.

Matsuura said ASU hosts events like Lantern Let Go, a festival in Thailand and other countries that celebrates a water goddess” and appreciates water. ASU also hosts Emochi Chat, the Mid-Autumn Festival, and chopstick competitions.

Matsuura said ASU is a place for students to feel represented and included in society.

“Even if you cannot be an official member, it is really good if you could join and watch Emochi Chat one time and just pass by, and just having food is okay too,” Matsuura said.

Hispanic Student Union

The Hispanic Student Union, also called Latinos Unidos, is a student organization on campus for Hispanic and Latino students. It also educates other students on Hispanic heritage culture.  Regular meetings are held on the first and fourth Wednesday of each academic year.

Karen Rivas, junior computer information services major and secretary of Hispanic Student Union, said HSU tries to include students who are not of Hispanic heritage.

Members of the Hispanic Student Union from Fall 2022 stand in front of the Screaming Eagles Arena. (Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Rudolph and Barbara Goodwin)

“We’re open to everybody,” Rivas said. “We always try to include them. We’re like, ‘Hey, come in and join.’”

Rivas said HSU hopes people can come and enjoy some time with them.

“We always try to invite other organizations to our events, and other organizations invite us,” Rivas said.

Before Rivas came to USI, students wanted a club for Hispanic and Latino heritage students to have a place where they could feel supported and share the same background. 

“As a Hispanic, it’s way different from other organizations, we wanted to share our struggles, how we grew up and we know that they share the same struggle,” Rivas said.

Rivas said HSU has connected people together.

Panamanian Association

The Panamanian Association is a student organization meant to educate students on the culture and heritage of Panamanian students.

Yoel Yosbani Alvarez Santos, junior physiology major and president of PANAS, said he hopes PANAS brings joy and dynamic to the lives of every student.

Students gather around University Center West and University Center East Queens during the Panamanian Carnival April 19, 2023, in the Business and Engineering Center. (Photo by Aracely Chavez)

“Panama has a lot of interesting facts, and our people are energetic and passionate, so our mission is to bring something new and share that joy and energy with every single student on campus,” Santos said.

Santos said PANAS was created in Fall 2018 when one of the first groups of  Panamanians arrived on campus.

“The creation of the organization was to create spaces for Panamanian students to connect with other American students and share about our culture,” Santos said. “Another mission was to help USI students to practice their Spanish, traditional dances and more.”

Anthony Rawley
Anthony Rawley, Staff Writer
Anthony Rawley, junior political science major, was a Staff Writer for the 2022-2023 academic year. Rawley joined The Shield in October 2022. Rawley was awarded the 2022-2023 Positive Attitude Award for his consistent positive attitude working at The Shield.  Rawley was involved in Political Science Society, Emerging Leaders, the Honors Program, and the Chi Alpha Campus Ministry on campus. Rawley enjoys eating with friends, watching movies and shows, playing video games, caring for his aquarium, walking outside and listening to entertainment and news podcasts. He likes action, sci-fi, superhero and comedy.  “The Shield allows me to expand my network and make connections while covering various events on campus for students,” Rawley said. “I enjoy the management and hanging out with my fellow Shieldsters.”