Feature: Swimming and diving head coach reflects on teams’ journeys throughout an inspiring season

Cameron Kainer, USI swimming and diving head coach, said chemistry and camaraderie came naturally to the team. (Photo courtesy of Barbara Goodwin and USI Athletic Communications)

Throughout Southern Indiana’s swim and dive season, the men’s and women’s teams have seen an overhaul in talent and youth. The teams feature two upperclassmen, two seniors, Donnevun Banks, senior diver on the men’s team, and Jordan Ambrose, senior freestyle specialist on the women’s team.

Head coach Cameron Kainer said the teams had challenges early on without many “upper-classmen and peer groups” guiding the younger athletes through.

“Despite our shortcomings without upperclassmen and captains, our team is much more mature and self-aware than teams that have had many years to grow into their culture and status,” Kainer said.

The team will journey to the Summit League Championship Feb. 21-24 in Minneapolis, MN.

“I think our mentality is to not put so much pressure on ourselves going in and knowing that we are definitely going to continue growing year to year and be better each time,” Kainer said.

He said he thinks having competed at the meet in 2023 gives the team a “leg up” on this year’s meet and competition.

“While things have gotten more difficult to score in our conference, our team has risen to the challenge set forth,” Kainer said.“A lot of that has to do with the leadership we have within the team.”

Kainer also said chemistry and camaraderie came naturally to the team.

“Building a program out of nothing, we needed to begin to have an identity first,” he said. “From there, we would be able to have the athletic accomplishment come about. But we wanted to make sure we had the right culture and chemistry to begin this thing in a positive direction. We’ve been very fortunate with the teams we’ve had the past two seasons where they have been on board with this process.”

Kainer said a potential Division I recruit for the men’s or women’s team should “be a team player and willing to be a cheerleader for their teammates and themselves.”

“I think taking care of their teammates and themselves, in turn takes care of everything we do inside and outside the pool,” he said. “Obviously, we want to have some incredible talent as well, but we can cultivate that in a team player and someone who is willing to help their team and themselves anyway they can.”

Kainer said the team has continued to raise the bar this season and looks forward to raising it more next season.

“I have told everyone coming in that the expectations will become greater and the talent funnel will continue to get smaller as we progress through this build,” Kainer said. “But one thing we will never compromise on are the expectations of the student-athlete and the work it takes to become a team in an individualized sport.”