Healthy, dietary changes to campus dining

Graphic by Karri Fox
The Loft accommodates students with dietary restrictions and provides healthier options.

Campus dining has made changes to accommodate those with dietary restrictions and healthier options for students.

Sodexo’s website provides further information on USI campus dining with menus and prices. The “Hot Spot Nutrition” tab shows how to identify vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free food options.

Signage in The Loft has been added, which lists the nine common allergens and the contact information Sodexo’s regional dietician, Jessica Airola.

Greg Dillard, campus executive chef, said he meets with those who have specific dietary needs.

“I still meet with all students and parents who request me so I can listen to the individual needs of the guest,” Dillard said.

Dillard said in The Loft, new employees are taught how to meet dietary restrictions during any time of dining.

“Static recipes are used, so we don’t freestyle ingredients,” Dillard said. “That’s good for those who have allergies/autoimmune issues and athletes who track micros.”

Students get food from The Loft Wednesday in University Center West. (Photo by Autumn Meyer)

Sodexo has worked to provide healthier options for students.

“We have created a plant-based station where the wrap station used to be, no dairy and animal proteins are used,” Dillard said. “The menus are low sodium and low sugar, they do rotate.”

Dillard said fresh-cut fruit returned to the pizza station after it was requested in the comment box.

The comment box is located in The Loft between the tray return and pay stations. Students can also leave feedback on Sodexo’s website.

I still meet with all students and parents who request me so I can listen to the individual needs of the guest,”

— Greg Dillard, campus executive chef

Dillard said The Loft has “mindful options,” such as a “healthy pizza” and “healthy open-faced tuna stacker.”

Carson Conrey, freshman mechanical engineering major, said he considers The Loft a healthy place to eat on campus. 

Emily Lang, freshman marketing major, said she eats at The Loft because it is convenient.

“I guess my favorite part about that would be, most of their options are customizable and you can choose what you want in your food,” Lang said.

Other students expressed the lack of healthy food options on campus.

Belicia Knoetze, freshman biochemistry major, said she does not think there are healthy food options on campus.

“One of my friends has irritable bowel syndrome, and she has a meal plan,” Knoetze said. “But many days, she cannot use her meal plan because there is a lot of starch, carbs and things like that. It’s not a lot of vegetables, fiber and stuff like that.” 

This poll has ended.

Do you think The Loft needs healthier options?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Knoetze said her friend has to buy a meal more expensive from her meal plan.

“For the takeout options, I think everything is junk food,” Knoetze said.

Eryn Best, freshman psychology major, said it is convenient for students to access unhealthier food instead of going to The Loft. 

“For the most part, campus food is pretty greasy,” Best said.

Nova Noel, freshman criminal justice and psychology major, said having vegan and vegetarian options for students would be helpful.

“I feel we should have more vegetarian options than just that one day that they did it,” Noel said. 

Rebecca Diamond, director of dining services, said there will be no new dining options for the upcoming Fall 2024 semester. However, the Eagle Express Convenience Store will be renovated.