Vice president for development, alumni engagement, president of USI Foundation reflects on time at USI – ‘It’ll always have a place in my heart’

David+Bower%2C+vice+president+for+development+and+alumni+engagement+and+president+of+the+USI+Foundation%2C+smiles+Friday+in+the+USI+Foundation+Office+conference+room.+
(Photo by Ava Bartley)
David Bower, vice president for development and alumni engagement and president of the USI Foundation, smiles Friday in the USI Foundation Office conference room.

David Bower, USI vice president for development and alumni engagement and president of the USI Foundation, announced plans to retire Jan. 1, 2025.  

According to the USI Foundation webpage, its mission is to ensure the university has the resources it needs to excel through community support and alumni engagement. 

Bower has worked at USI for 30 years, where he has seen his department change and evolve.

“I started off as a special gifts officer,” Bower said. “There were only four people on the development staff at that time. I became director of university development and president of the USI Foundation in 2008. In 2017, I was appointed vice president of alumni development and last year, we added the alumni office to that.”

Bower said, as president, he oversees the workings of his department and raises money to go toward the university. 

“My staff and I are working every day to invite people to invest in this great university,” Bower said.

Bower said his department believes in building relationships within the community to encourage future investment into USI.

It’s bittersweet for me to leave because I love this place. It’ll always have a place in my heart,”

— David Bower, USI vice president for development and alumni engagement and president of the USI Foundation

“We are steadfast in our belief that if we build relationships with people and we invite their investment, if they see the quality of our faculty and staff and students, they will want to invest in that,” Bower said. “That has certainly been true in my 30 years.”

Bower said working at USI has been a “great opportunity” and a “wonderful” experience watching the school and his department grow.

“I owe so much to this university,” Bower said.

“The university was founded in 1965,” Bower said. “The foundation was founded on October the first of 1968. We’re almost as old as the institution. We have a strong love for not only USI but this entire region.”

Bower said faculty and staff working at USI are part of the “success” at USI.

“Everybody has a role to play, and it’s integral to the success,” Bower said. “If we’re rowing in the same way, we will steer the boat to harbor.”

Bower said he is working until June 30 but plans to stay busy after his retirement. 

I owe so much to this university,”

“My wife and I plan to see the kids more, especially the granddaughters,” Bower said. “We want to travel some, but I’m sure I’ll do some volunteer work for the university at some point. I won’t have trouble filling the time.”

Bower said USI will always have a place in his heart. 

“I’ve been blessed, and I’m grateful to God and to my wife for their support through the years,” Bower said. “It’s bittersweet for me to leave because I love this place. It’ll always have a place in my heart.”