Lighting a Tradition event returns to unite students, alumni

Photo by McKenna Love
Students and alumni gather in the Fireside Lounge to witness the Christmas tree lighting during the Student Alumni Association’s Lighting A Tradition event Monday.

The Student Alumni Association held its annual Lighting a Tradition event 6-8 p.m. Monday in University Center West and University Center East. The Student Government Association and other student organizations were present at the event. 

In University Center West, the event featured holiday music by Patriotic Souls, a sweater contest and a gingerbread house contest. 

In University Center East, the Student Alumni Association offered a holiday-themed storytime, Christmas tree competition, photo opportunity with Santa Claus and facilitated holiday crafts.

Riley Shelton, freshman history major, said she heard about the event from the Student Alumni Association’s newsletter. 

Shelton said the event is a great way for students to get connected with USI students and alumni. 

“It’s really nice,” Shelton said. “It’s nice for the community.”

Families decorate ornaments during the Student Alumni Association’s Lighting A Tradition Monday in University Center East. (Photo by McKenna Love)

Skylar Ritchie, sophomore criminal justice major, said it was good to have a fun event before finals. 

“This is a fun little event before two weeks of hell comes up,” Ritchie said. “I think it’s a good thing.” 

In addition, the USI Foundation’s Student Advisory Board hosted its first winter clothing drive. 

Maggie Carnahan, assistant director of advancement for the USI Foundation, said a local Title I school employing several USI alumni expressed a need for winter clothing. 

“One of the alumni teachers there said that many of her students don’t have cold weather gear for winter time,” Carnahan said. “We’re hoping to help keep these youngsters warm.”

Ashley Hughes, Volunteer USI council member, said the event is a great opportunity for alumni to visit campus and for students to interact with the USI community. 

“As somebody who went to USI, I think it’s awesome that they’re doing more to bring community members and alumni, et cetera, the opportunity to come back to campus and do things,” Hughes said. “It gives students the opportunity to connect with the community.”

Student Government Association hosted a Religious Inclusivity Fair in University Center West during the Lighting a Tradition event. 

The Student Government Association hosts Religious Inclusivity Fair during Student Alumni Association’s Lighting A Tradition Monday in University Center West. Religious readings and symbols sit on a table. (Photo by McKenna Love)

Adrianna Garcia, SGA president, said the Religious Inclusivity Fair is one of her favorite aspects of the event. 

“I love that since this event has been back, SGA has been able to bring religious inclusivity to this event,” Garcia said. “It’s nice to be able to talk about other religions who celebrate holidays around this time.”

Garcia said she is excited to see what future Lighting a Tradition events will hold. 

“I’m excited to see where it goes from here,” Garcia said.