‘Bioshock Infinite’ exposed me to the art of video games

Photo courtesy of 2K Games
“Bioshock Infinite,” released March 26, 2013, is the third game in the “Bioshock” series. This game tells a separate story that utilizes the unique and striking world the “Bioshock” series is known for.

With over 13.4 hours playing Bioshock Infinite on Steam and even more on my PlayStation 4, I’m no stranger to “Bioshock Infinite.”

“Bioshock Infinite,” released March 26, 2013, is a first-person shooter developed by Irrational Games. The player controls protagonist Booker DeWitt (Troy Baker), a disgraced member of the Pinkerton National Detective Agency. Booker is sent to Columbia, a floating steampunk city created by the United States, to find a young woman named Elizabeth (Courtnee Draper).

I have remained fascinated and fixated on this game since I discovered it. I have watched more playthroughs than I can count before I was able to play the game for myself. Even with the amount of times I have watched playthroughs, I still found myself having an excellent time playing rather than watching it. 

Story: 

In the game, you start playing as Booker, who is approaching a lighthouse on a boat rowed by two unknown characters. He was called upon to take care of a job to “wipe away his debt.” The job in question is to retrieve a girl and bring her to New York City unharmed. Of course, the job does not go as planned, and Booker quickly realizes he is completely out of his depth. 

What makes “Bioshock Infinite” stand out is the setting of its story.

The city of Columbia is a steampunk city floating in the sky. This setting allows the game to explore different themes relating to capitalism and discrimination. (Photo courtesy of 2K Games)

Set in a sky city, Columbia, “Bioshock Infinite” takes advantage of its alternative history setting by taking place in 1912. The contrast of this high-tech, steampunk location and the time period allows the game to delve into sensitive topics involving race and gender.

I find the story relaxing, as it goes along nicely with the gameplay, with it being massive explosives and constantly changing gameplay between the guns and abilities. I used to play this game to turn my brain off and just relax. I have played it so many times I know what’s next and the route I need to take. Plus, if I get confused, there’s a button I can use that shows me the way toward my next objective.

Gameplay:

The game has typical first-person shooter mechanics, with the option to melee enemies or use the variety of guns at your disposal that are unlocked as you progress through the story. There are also additions to the environment, like oil spills you can use to your advantage in fights. Along the way, you have the chance to get upgrades for your health, shields and salts, a mechanic that allows the player to use the special abilities present in “Bioshock Infinite.”

Combat in “Bioshock Infinite” combines typical first-person shooter mechanics with a unique ability system called vigors. Vigors allow the player to use special powers against their enemies, from explosions to electrical shocks. (Photo courtesy of 2K Games)

As you further the story, you receive a number of abilities called Vigors, which can be used to battle enemies. You have a choice between eight different Vigors, which include Bucking Bronco, Charge, Devil’s Kiss, Murder of Crows, Possession, Return to Sender, Shock Jockey and Undertow. 

There is a quick swap menu that allows you to use multiple abilities in succession with each other to deal more damage by combos. I personally am terrible at switching out and tend to keep the same couple equipped for general story progression purposes, but I still appreciate the variety.

Although I didn’t have any previous experience with combat games, I loved playing “Bioshock Infinite.” I mainly play shooter games in my free time now because of this game. It gave me a lot of experience figuring out what type of guns I like to use, especially with fire rate. The difficult part is when different games have different styles of guns you have to adapt to. 

The combination of story and combat allows “Bioshock Infinite” to present a gripping and engaging story. (Photo courtesy of 2K Games)

The thing about “Bioshock Infinite’s” guns is, as the game progresses, more types of guns are introduced, and they tend to replace the guns you were using beforehand. However, the game still allows you to use all of the weapons you have collected, so you can use a wide variety of weapons or stick to using the same gun throughout the whole game. 

Characters:

“Bioshock Infinite” is interesting, as it is the first game in the series to have a vocal protagonist, Booker Dewitt. 

He is a private investigator who has been offered a deal to wipe away all the debt he accumulated. He shows an actual personality as opposed to his preceding protagonists, who were completely silent. You constantly hear his dialogue and opinions, which allows you to form your own perspective alongside him. He has a tendency to be snarky and self-serving, but depending on your choices, you can see more of his compassion and humanity.

Elizabeth is the girl Booker is charged with bringing back to New York. She is hardly a damsel in distress and frequently saves Booker from trouble despite not being a playable character. Elizabeth has been trapped inside a tower in Columbia her whole life, which she has spent reading every book within her grasp. She values freedom and has valuable courage and an unwavering will to do what is right, making her a good foil to Booker while still being her whole character.

Elizabeth (Courtnee Draper) stands next to posters of her father, Zachary Hale Comstock (Kiff VandenHeuvel). Elizabeth is one of the main characters of “Bioshock Infinite.” (Photo courtesy of 2K Games)

The mysterious Lutece twins (Oliver Vaquer and Jennifer Hale) show up infrequently but always at times of need or when it is beneficial for Booker to obtain something. They constantly banter with each other, which is entertaining and provides hints to the plot if you pay enough attention. They have always been helping or doing things behind the scenes, even when it seems they aren’t. They’ve been with Booker since the beginning and stay with him until the end.

Zachary Hale Comstock (Kiff VandenHeuvel) is the main antagonist and Elizabeth’s father. He built the tower Elizabeth is trapped in and founded Columbia itself. He is hailed as a prophet and is able to predict the future, including Booker’s future actions. Comstock feels no remorse for his own people and soldiers despite being hailed as a god and the savior of Columbia. 

Conclusion:

When this game first came out, I was caught up in how colorful and beautiful it looked at the time. I didn’t see a lot of main title video games with heavy shooting-based gameplay while also complimented by the wonderful graphics. 

I was under a rock when it came to knowing about video games, so seeing this one really blew my mind. I really recommend it not just for the gameplay but the story, which you won’t be able to predict the end of.