Opinion: Influx of new talent will transform men’s basketball team

Screaming+Eagles+Arena+is+home+to+the+University+of+Southern+Indiana+Screaming+Eagles.+
(Photo courtesy of USI Athletics)
Screaming Eagles Arena is home to the University of Southern Indiana Screaming Eagles.

After last year’s mediocre season, the men’s basketball team needed an overhaul. Thus, the recruiters got to work, and work they did.  Here is a guide to the new additions to the team. 

Javius Moore, junior guard/forward

A transfer from Southwest Mississippi Community College, Moore’s game reminds me of a young Andre Iguodala – he has nice handles, can shoot from outside and has solid ball awareness. He can split duties between shooting guard and small forward. 

Xavier McCord, junior guard

McCord transferred from Laramie County Community College. What stood out to me the most is his explosive leaping ability and fast break potential. He’s great at running the break, he knows when to run and can get to the rim over even the strongest, tallest defenders.

Jordan Tillmon, junior guard

A transfer from Florida A&M University, Tillmon has a nice shot-making ability along with good handles. My player comparison for him is Mike Conley Jr. He will likely play a primary ball-handling role as the point guard, but he could also play nicely as the sixth man, leading the second unit. 

Johnny Semany, sophomore guard

Semany, a transfer from Lawrence University, stood out from a playmaking standpoint. He has a solid shot-making ability, but his court vision is excellent. He just seems to know when players are open and can get the ball to them like a quarterback. My comparison to him would be Ricky Rubio, just an excellent team guy and a better passer. 

Luther Smith Jr., freshman guard

As the lone freshman on the team, Smith caught my attention as somebody who could get hot with only a couple of attempts. He has an excellent scoring ability, similar to Gilbert Arenas. I predict Smith will play well this season. 

Nolan Causwell, senior forward/center

A transfer from Tennessee Tech University, Causwell could be a grit-and-grind player. He has a solid interior defensive presence and can get boards. Causwell could be an anchor in the paint, and an enforcer, if necessary. 

Yarin Hasson, sophomore forward

Hasson’s game is an interesting one. As a sophomore forward transfer from last year’s NCAA national title-winning University of Connecticut, he did not get a whole lot of playing time. However, he is extremely versatile, can make tough shots and could be a stretch five, because of his solid defensive presence, especially when USI wants to go small and beat its opponents with speed and agility, like the Showtime Lakers did in the 1980s. He could be a key player for the next few seasons.

Predictions

Returning players, could see a bump or decline in minutes depending on the competition for their roles on the team. This could also vary depending on how Stan Gouard, head coach, manages the rotation. Either way, they are eager to compete for playing time. 

Returning players include:

• Ryan Hall, sophomore guard
  • Jack Campion, sophomore guard
  • Jack Mielke, junior forward
  • AJ Smith, sophomore guard/forward
  • Nick Hittle, junior forward
  • Sam Mervis, junior guard
  • Jeremiah Hernandez, junior guard
  • Kiyron Powell, sophomore center

I would start Tillmon and McCord at the guard positions. I would have Moore and Hasson as the forwards to space the floor. At center, I would have Causwell or Powell, depending on how much size is needed on the court. 

For the bench, I prefer utilizing a variety of players to keep the other team guessing on matchups and rotations. Campion and Mielke are most familiar with the system, so they are likely the first two off the bench. Then Hall, to shoot a couple of threes and space the floor. I would throw in Mervis as well to antagonize the other team’s point guard. I value constantly rotating the bigs, with Hittle, Causwell and Powell, to keep the other team’s center guessing and physically exhausted. I would have Hasson play in late-game moments, where players need to consistently make their free throws. 

For the season, USI is predicted to finish ninth in the Ohio Valley Conference, as reported from a poll conducted with the conference’s 11 head coaches and the respective schools’ athletic communications directors. I think this prediction is low, but it is probably leaning into the unknown scheme fit aspect. I could see this team finishing higher if the players fit the system. 

The must-watch matchups for the season are: 

• Nov. 9: Michigan State University (away)
  • Nov. 12: Chicago State University (home)
  • Nov. 24: Duke University (away)
  • Dec. 6: Purdue Fort Wayne (home)
  • Dec. 9: Indiana State University (away)
  • Jan. 18: University of Arkansas at Little Rock (home)
  • Feb. 10: SIU Edwardsville (home)
  • March 2: Southeast Missouri State University (home)

A lot of these matchups are on the road, but can still be watched on ESPN+.

The 2023-2024 men’s basketball team is an intriguing group. It is going to be a gritty and competitive team that does not bow down to its opponents. The men’s basketball team might take other teams by surprise. Teams like that are truly dangerous and certainly have a chip on their shoulder, and might work harder to beat others, both mentally and physically.