The whimsy, wonder of ‘Over the Garden Wall’

%E2%80%9COver+the+Garden+Wall%2C%E2%80%9D+produced+by+Cartoon+Network%2C+is+a+cartoon+miniseries+that+ran+from+Nov.+3-7%2C+2014.+The+show+has+become+one+of+the+most+celebrated+shows+on+Cartoon+Network+with+its+thick+autumn+atmosphere+and+storytelling.+
Photo courtesy of Cartoon Network
“Over the Garden Wall,” produced by Cartoon Network, is a cartoon miniseries that ran from Nov. 3-7, 2014. The show has become one of the most celebrated shows on Cartoon Network with its thick autumn atmosphere and storytelling.

Cartoon Network experienced a golden age of animation in the early 2010s.

Shows like “Adventure Time,” “Regular Show” and  “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” made the network the leading force in animation. These shows stood out for their long-form storytelling and accessible yet mature themes.

Even with these excellent shows, one series stood out among the rest as a cult classic, and it did so with only one airing.

“Over the Garden Wall,” produced by Cartoon Network, is a cartoon miniseries that ran from Nov. 3-7, 2014. The series follows two half-brothers, Wirt (Elijah Wood) and Greg (Collin Dean), who become lost in a strange forest called the Unknown. During their journey, they encounter strange things in the forest that are both wonderful and horrifying.

Unlike other Cartoon Network shows at the time, this program only aired once and spanned ten episodes. While the show may have had a short lifespan on the air, it has cemented itself as one of the most unique one-off programs out there that no other show can replicate. 

Animation:

One aspect of the show that stands out right away is its animation.

Beautiful animation from James Baxter gets the viewer invested in the world of “Over The Garden Wall.” For fans of “Cuphead” or the rubber hose animation style, there are similarities that faithfully pay tribute to this style while adding new and unique styles.

It covers all bases with the autumn aesthetic and warm nature colors mixed in with spooky vibes to make the viewer feel comforted and slightly unsettled. There is a steady but slow transition from the show being warm and cozy to dark, cold and creepy. The backgrounds are beautifully made but do not detract from the plot. Instead, they only add to the world of the series.

“Over the Garden Wall” blends both spectrums of the autumn season, combining warm, bright colors and cold, dark ones. (Photo courtesy of Cartoon Network)

As for the character designs, while being very simplistic, each character lends themselves to the general mood with their own unique appearance. This is especially true since, at the beginning, the time period is left ambiguous. Many towns have an old-timey feel that fits right in with the costumes, but there are also instances of modern and late 20th-century tech that feels weird and outlandish. 

Along with the topic of character design, despite being somewhat simplistic, everyone looks different. The spookier designs also gave me chills as a kid, especially the beasts that appear in the latter half of the show.

Characters:

“Over the Garden Wall’s” storytelling is quite unique for a Cartoon Network show as it is led by its two main characters, Wirt and Greg.

Wirt is a generally cautious character who is very unsure of himself, whereas his brother Greg is the complete opposite, being very outgoing and charismatic. These two characters work well together as Greg, the younger of the two, doesn’t think things through, which allows him to be an essential foil to Wirt’s overthinking nature. The interaction between these two is what leads to the conflict of the story and results in other events happening throughout the story. 

The brothers meet fantastical beasts and many different people throughout the story. They have a partner and recurring character, Beatrice (Melanie Lynskey), a talking bluebird who accompanies them for most of the story. 

Half-brothers Wirt (Elijah Wood) and Greg (Collin Dean) are the emotional cores of “Over the Garden Wall.” Their relationships are what drive the show’s plot and conflicts. (Photo courtesy of Cartoon Network)

She is more of a cautious individual like Wirt but has her times when she agrees to go along with Greg and his antics. This causes her to be a mediator between the two brothers for large amounts of time and gives each brother an avenue to open up and begin transforming as characters.

Another notable character is the Woodsman (Christopher Lloyd). He is the first human the brothers find in the woods and is a great tone-setter, as he is a cautious and almost crazy individual who makes the viewer fearful of what’s to come, especially as the show progresses and more is learned about the character.

Music:

While the animation and the characters are very notable aspects of the show, the music is the most impressive part of the show.

Each episode has a full or partial musical number, which adds so much to the vibe and weird aesthetic the show is known for. The combination of jazz and classical music does so much for the story and the aesthetic of the show.

The music in “Over the Garden Wall” is the most unique aspect of the show. No other cartoon at the time utilized music as a storytelling device as much as “Over the Garden Wall” did. (Photo courtesy of Cartoon Network)

The music includes lyrics that not only describe what is happening in the show but also give insights into what will happen in the future. Songs like “Over the Garden Wall” and the two-part song “Into the Unknown,” which plays at the beginning and end of the show, provide many hints into what is happening in the show without spoiling anything. 

The music is produced entirely by The Blasting Company, whose distinct sound compliments the fall setting. It cannot be understated how much this band’s work adds to this show, as it utilizes the setting and story to create one of the best soundtracks for a cartoon.

Conclusion:

“Over the Garden Wall’s” legacy is a bit different compared to other Cartoon Network shows.

As an example, “Adventure Time” aired for 10 seasons and has multiple spin-offs, with the most recent one being “Adventure Time: Fionna and Cake.” At the same time, “Over the Garden Wall” was canceled immediately after all of its episodes aired, and it only aired once.

During Wirt (Elijah Wood) and Greg’s (Collin Dean) journey in the Unknown, they come across different creatures and situations. Some are wonderful and wacky, while others prove dark and sinister. (Photo courtesy of Cartoon Network)

Despite this, the show is celebrated just as much as the other big hits on the network.

The fact that it is still beloved today despite being nine years since it ended is a testament to not only how well it holds up, but also the impact it had on the individuals who watched it. There are so many little details and deeper meanings and lessons from both the story and the characters that make this show worth celebrating. I actively encourage those who are interested or need a short series to binge for the fall season.