English department hosts presentation on writers and screen actors strikes

Photo by Bryce West
James Hunter, instructor of English, presents “Cold Cuts, Hot Takes: The Writers & Actors Strike” Wednesday in the Robert D. Orr Center.

The English department hosted the “Cold Cuts, Hot Takes: The Writers & Actors Strike” presentation Wednesday in the Robert D. Orr Center.

James Hunter, instructor of English, hosted the presentation. His presentation discussed the implications of the Writers Guild of America and Screen Actors Guild strikes and how it affects writers, actors and consumers.

“The writers have a philosophical difference with the studios. The studios have the financial advantage, and how all of this works or what is happening here is fundamental to movies and television that occupies our film culture,” Hunter said.

He said most actors do not have a safety net like Matt Damon and John Travolta.

“The average person who works in SAG, the average actor makes about $25,000 per year,” Hunter said. “So now, you are stripping this person of their income. They didn’t have much savings to begin with.”

James Hunter, instructor of English, presents a slide for the “Cold Cuts, Hot Takes: The Writers & Actors Strike” presentation. The slide included the demands of the Writers Guild of America and the major studios Wednesday in the Robert D. Orr Center. (Photo by Bryce West)

In his presentation, Hunter said the writers and actors are being affected by unfair wages and residuals. The guilds’s demands include lessening residuals for streaming programs and shortening the lifespans of TV shows to prevent having to give writers and actors raises. 

“I think it’s a conscious choice on the part of the studios in order to boil things down so they can screw over the writers,” Hunter said. The presentation was open to all faculty members and students. At the event, nine English faculty members and one student attended. 

Hunter said he was not concerned about the lack of student attendance.

“I think attendance at one symposium isn’t enough to read broad concerns about culture and broad concerns about whether or not this is a thing that students are interested in or are affected by,” Hunter said.

“I’m sensitive to the idea that students have a lot on their plate and a limited amount of bandwidth,” he said. “And maybe this just wasn’t the thing that they were able to come to on a Wednesday at noon.”

Denise McKenzie, junior English major, said she is terrified of what the writers strike could mean for the future of writers.

“I’m terrified because I want to be a writer as well and this doesn’t look good,” McKenzie said. “I don’t know if it’s me also being nihilistic and coming and seeing the doom of my career before it starts, but I think it’s definitely something to be aware of so you can plan for it.”

James Hunter, instructor of English, presents “Cold Cuts, Hot Takes: The Writers & Actors Strike” Wednesday in the Robert D. Orr Center. (Photo by Bryce West)

She said she was sad more students did not attend the presentation.

“I’m actually sad more students didn’t come today,” McKenzie said. “Especially because these are the kinds of jobs that we’re looking forward to.”

Hunter said students have moved toward short-form content.

“From my perception, students generally have moved away from traditional entertainment sources and moved toward TikTok, YouTube Shorts, Reels, those kinds of short-form content that’s made by people who are kind of hustling and struggling and doing their own things,” Hunter said. “In that way, students are kind of insulated from some of the more pernicious effects of this.”

Hunter said there are ways to help with the writers and actors strike such as donating to organizations and being conscious of the things you watch and recommend to people.

“Culture is a thing that we all repeat and we can be intentional about what we repeat and what we share with each other and the type of culture that we create,” Hunter said. “That culture can either be corporate crap, or it could be art and we get to make that choice on an everyday basis.”

About the Contributors
Bryce West
Bryce West, Assistant News Editor
Bryce West, senior journalism and radio TV major, was the Assistant News Editor for the 2022-2023 academic year. West joined The Shield in Spring 2022 as a Staff Writer and was promoted to Assistant News Editor in Spring 2023.  West was involved in ESPN+ broadcasts for sporting events on campus. West enjoys watching movies, listening to music, hanging out with friends and collecting action figures and retro video games. West likes watching superhero action movies and shows. He is a huge fan of the reality competition series “Survivor.”  “I enjoy working for The Shield because it has been the most spectacular learning experience I have had throughout my four years of college,” West said. “I have also gotten to know some of the greatest individuals I have ever met in my life. This has by far been my greatest working experience.”
Anthony Rawley
Anthony Rawley, Staff Writer
Anthony Rawley, junior political science major, was a Staff Writer for the 2022-2023 academic year. Rawley joined The Shield in October 2022. Rawley was awarded the 2022-2023 Positive Attitude Award for his consistent positive attitude working at The Shield.  Rawley was involved in Political Science Society, Emerging Leaders, the Honors Program, and the Chi Alpha Campus Ministry on campus. Rawley enjoys eating with friends, watching movies and shows, playing video games, caring for his aquarium, walking outside and listening to entertainment and news podcasts. He likes action, sci-fi, superhero and comedy.  “The Shield allows me to expand my network and make connections while covering various events on campus for students,” Rawley said. “I enjoy the management and hanging out with my fellow Shieldsters.”