‘Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie’ is still fascinatingly ridiculous almost 30 years later

%0APeyton+Peters+commented%0A44m+ago%0AMighty+Morphin+Power+Rangers%3A+The+Movie+is+based+on+the+original+Power+Rangers+TV+series%2C+which+celebrates+its+30th+anniversary+this+year.+
Photo courtesy of 20th Century Studios
Peyton Peters commented 44m ago “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie” is based on the original “Power Rangers” TV series, which celebrates its 30th anniversary this year.

“Mighty Morphin Power Rangers” aired for the first time on Fox Kids 30 years ago. The show was based on another popular Japanese superhero program, “Super Sentai,” and became an instant success in the U.S.

“Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie” hit theaters and reached an even wider audience in 1995. However, neither the movie nor the show are still considered to be mainstream today. Let’s take a look at the 1995 movie and examine what holds up and what should be changed to appeal to wider audiences. 

“Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie,” released June 30, 1995, was directed by Bryan Spicer and based on the “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers” television show. The movie follows the Power Rangers fighting off an ancient enemy, Ivan Ooze (Paul Freeman), who was released from a hyper-lock chamber after being trapped for 6,000 years.

Ivan Ooze (Paul Freeman) is the featured villain in “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie.” (Courtesy of 20th Century Studios)

Right off the bat, the film assumes the audience already knows who these characters are because the movie goes right into the action. Considering how popular the show was at the time this makes sense. However, now that “Power Rangers” has gone on for 30 seasons, new audiences may feel left out almost immediately going into this.

This film is for audiences who love stereotypical ‘90s movies. The film opens with the Power Rangers participating in a skydiving competition followed by them rollerblading through the city. On top of that, the soundtrack has iconic ‘90s songs such as “Higher Ground” by Red Hot Chili Peppers and “Trouble” by Shampoo.

In terms of the actual story, it pretty much plays out like a normal “Power Rangers” episode. The Power Rangers are living their normal lives, a new bad guy appears, the bad guy is more powerful than the rest so the Rangers need to look for new powers. The Rangers receive new powers, they all grow big, the Rangers save the day and have a party afterward. The end.

The Power Rangers travel to the planet Phaedos to receive new powers to save Zordon (Nicholas Bell and Robert L. Manahan) and defeat Ivan Ooze (Paul Freeman). (Photo courtesy of 20th Century Studios)

In terms of character development, there is none. The audience members don’t learn anything new about these characters and the characters don’t seem to learn anything new about themselves other than the new powers they get. In one way this makes it easily accessible to someone who is not familiar with the show. On the other hand, it can feel really disappointing for a massive fan of the show. 

However, even with a lack of compelling storytelling, this film is unapologetically a fun time. If you are looking for a dark and serious take on the Power Rangers, you aren’t going to find that here, but I think that works in this film’s favor.

The Power Rangers stand in the Command Center with their armored Power Ranger suits, which are exclusive to the film. (Photo courtesy of 20th Century Studios)

Other “Power Rangers” films such as “Power Rangers (2017)” have tried to do a darker version of the Power Rangers. However, the problem with that is it ends up not feeling like “Power Rangers.” “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie” does not have this issue as it embraces its cheesiness with open arms.

As for what’s next, the main series will be ending with its 30th season later this month. A reboot is already in development, but things will need to change if Hasbro wants “Power Rangers” to compare to their other major franchises such as “Transformers” and “G.I. Joe.”

I do think the brand needs to age up with its audience a little bit while still maintaining its cheesy roots. A perfect balance would be somewhere in between “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie” and the darker tones of “Power Rangers (2017).” This way general audiences are still able to take it seriously while still retaining some of the aspects that made it popular in the first place.

The 30th and final season of the show, “Power Rangers: Cosmic Fury,” premieres on Netflix Sept. 29. (Photo courtesy of Hasbro and Netflix)

It can be hard to celebrate such an incredible milestone when the future of the brand is up in the air. However, it is important to enjoy what we have and worry about the future when it becomes the present.

I grew up watching “Power Rangers.” I am almost 23 years old and I am still watching “Power Rangers.” This franchise will likely always be a part of my life and I am grateful for the hundreds of hours of enjoyment I have been able to get out of it.

If you are not currently a “Power Rangers” fan, “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie” is not going to change your mind. However, as a long-time fan of the franchise, this film will always have a special place in my heart.

Bryce West
Bryce West, Assistant News Editor
Bryce West, senior journalism and radio TV major, was the Assistant News Editor for the 2022-2023 academic year. West joined The Shield in Spring 2022 as a Staff Writer and was promoted to Assistant News Editor in Spring 2023.  West was involved in ESPN+ broadcasts for sporting events on campus. West enjoys watching movies, listening to music, hanging out with friends and collecting action figures and retro video games. West likes watching superhero action movies and shows. He is a huge fan of the reality competition series “Survivor.”  “I enjoy working for The Shield because it has been the most spectacular learning experience I have had throughout my four years of college,” West said. “I have also gotten to know some of the greatest individuals I have ever met in my life. This has by far been my greatest working experience.”