Students express mixed reactions to first Dive-In Movie event

Photo by Bryce West
Keionna Gullatt, freshman childhood education major, Justine Payne, junior nursing major, and C’airra Mcguire, freshman dental hygiene major, smile while waiting for “The Little Mermaid (2023)” to start at the Activity Programming Board’s Dive-In Movie event Thursday in the Aquatic Center.

The Activities Programming Board held its first Dive-In Movie event in the Aquatic Center Thursday.

The movie chosen for this year’s Dive-In Movie was “The Little Mermaid (2023).”

“We just think, ‘Get what’s new and get what’s relevant,’ and that was obviously relevant over the summer,” said Audrey Fox, APB president. “I think we had the idea that would draw in more people and have a bigger audience.”

Allison Weihe, assistant director of student activities and traditions, said she has seen dive-in movies at other schools.

“I was excited to be able to help them realize this event,” Weihe said.

Students play catch at Activity Programming Board’s Dive-In Movie event Thursday in the Aquatic Center. (Photo by Bryce West)

Before the movie started, Keionna Gullatt, freshman childhood education major, said she was enjoying the event.

“I’m impressed,” Gullatt said. “I’ve been wanting to come to the pool for a minute, but I don’t want to come by myself sometimes. So I am definitely enjoying this.”

Students watch “The Little Mermaid (2023)” at the Activity Programming Board’s Dive-In Movie event Thursday in the Aquatic Center. Students said they could not see the screen very well. (Photo by Bryce West)

However, once the movie began, students said they could not hear or see the screen very well.

“I think it’s a really fun idea, but the water is really cold, and I can’t see the screen, and I can’t hear it very well,” said Amanda Ford, senior nursing major.

“I’m really cold, and I can’t see the screen very well,” said Lauren Rakers, senior nursing major. “I mean, they haven’t done much with the Aquatic Center for group settings other than this, so I mean, it’s a good idea.”

“I think it was a good idea, but the outcome wasn’t the best,” said Tyler Hoyt, freshman mechanical engineering major.

Weihe said with new events, they can never be sure if it will be a hit or miss.

I think trying to put your pulse on the student body to kind of figure out what they’re interested in can be difficult sometimes.

— Allison Weihe, assistant director for student activities and traditions

Students gather for the Activities Programming Board’s first Dive-In Movie event Thursday in the Aquatic Center. (Photo by Bryce West)

Students said the idea was good and could be improved with better execution.

I think if they improve the execution a little bit, then it would be really fun.

— Amanda Ford, senior nursing major

“It’ll get better through the years,” Rakers said. “This is the first year they’ve ever done it.”

Weihe said APB has events planned out to Fall Break, and the general board will decide what events are held for the rest of the year.

“I think that’s going to have a huge impact on how exciting the events are and how many people come,” Weihe said.

Bryce West
Bryce West, Assistant News Editor
Bryce West, senior journalism and radio TV major, was the Assistant News Editor for the 2022-2023 academic year. West joined The Shield in Spring 2022 as a Staff Writer and was promoted to Assistant News Editor in Spring 2023.  West was involved in ESPN+ broadcasts for sporting events on campus. West enjoys watching movies, listening to music, hanging out with friends and collecting action figures and retro video games. West likes watching superhero action movies and shows. He is a huge fan of the reality competition series “Survivor.”  “I enjoy working for The Shield because it has been the most spectacular learning experience I have had throughout my four years of college,” West said. “I have also gotten to know some of the greatest individuals I have ever met in my life. This has by far been my greatest working experience.”