If there’s a Will, there’s a way: How to find a career you love

We’ve heard it a million times- whether it be you or someone you know.

“I have no idea what I want to do with my life”, utters a random student in the Starbucks line. 

Don’t fret- many students are undeclared or undecided majors, or are unsure of what they want to do with their life. It’s no big deal; it’s unrealistic for 18-year-olds to know exactly what they want to do into their 60s.

If you’re unsure of what you want to do with your career, know there are numerous resources on campus to go to. One of the people who has a lot of contacts is your academic advisor. 

Don’t be afraid to send your academic advisor an email. They can help you find a plan of action unique to you. Take classes in college based on your interests and take a wide assortment to find more interests. 

Furthermore, Career Services can help you find a part-time job or internship as well as conduct mock interviews. Finding employment in an industry you’re interested in is not only great for your resume, but can put your mind at ease by getting real-life, practical experience as you’re on your way to declaring a major and sticking with a career you love. 

The most important resource students should be aware of is the career counseling available for all students. 

In career counseling, the professional may have you take different tests like the Myers Briggs Type Indicator, as well as the Strong Interest Inventory or maybe even have you complete the assessment at sokanu.com. Your counselor will help you find and identify your passions and what you’re good at. 

Here’s a variety of questions you can ask yourself to get yourself on the right track of finding a perfect career: What’s your personality type? What do you like to do? What do you see yourself doing? What are you interested in? How long do you want to go to school? Where do you want to live?

It is also important to identify what you don’t want to do. This may be easier for you to think about if you’re having trouble with some other questions. 

One of the things students don’t realize is a good job for you is more than just thinking about the monetary benefits of a job. It is important to be able to pay your bills, but it’s also important to be happy. It’s imperative to identify what lifestyle you want to have and what benefits are important to you.

I suggest getting involved in a variety of clubs on campus to start finding things you like. From the Southern Indiana Dance Marathon to Ultimate Frisbee to everything in between. Who knows, maybe your hobby will lead you on the pathway to a career that is a perfect fit for you. 

You should also research jobs to look at the tasks and what would be required of you, as well as the educational and physical requirements. Talk to people in the field you’re interested in to get their perspectives. If you are still interested in the career, you can request to job shadow to get an actual day-in-the-life with no sugarcoating involved.

Make sure not to hold yourself back and realize that it’s okay to change your mind about your major. The US Department of Education reports over 30 percent of students change their major at least once in college. 

A Gallup Poll suggests only 15% of the world’s one billion full-time workers are engaged at work. You deserve to be one of the workers who love their job. You should realize the importance of finding a job you love.

Take it day by day. Don’t be so hard on yourself and just go with the flow. Remember at the end of the day, finding a career is highly personal and a process everyone goes through.

Don’t be embarrassed about not having your entire life mapped out. You can’t compare someone’s chapter 10 to your chapter two. You will find a career and major you love with just a little bit of effort.