Professor to present poetry at Griffin Center

Photo courtesy of Photo Services

The Shield interviewed Professor of English Matthew Graham who will present work from his new poetry collection, “The Geography of Home,” at a poetry reading sponsored by the Southern Indiana Reading Series at 4:30 p.m. April 11 in the Griffin Center.

The Shield: When did you start writing?

Matthew Graham: In high school, I fooled with poetry. It wasn’t until college that I got more serious about it.

The Shield: What was it about writing that interested you?

Graham: I think I was influenced by song lyrics as a kid. I just wanted to duplicate the kind of power I felt that they had, and when I started really realizing what real poetry was, I became even more interested in it and all the possibilities of language.

The Shield: When did you start writing poetry?

Graham: I didn’t know what I was doing for a long time. It took me a long time to learn how to write poetry. In college, I decided to get a little bit more serious about it. I applied to a graduate program and then really studied it and decided it was important to me.

The Shield: Why was it important to you?

Graham: I think I felt like there were things I needed or wanted to say and poetry seemed to be the best way to do that. I like how it condensed language. It got a lot done in a short amount of time. I like that it put into words emotions and feelings and experiences that we all have, but we don’t necessarily have the words for. Poetry was a way of putting into words experiences and feelings.

The Shield: Do you have any influences?

Graham: In college, I discovered two writers, James Wright and Philip Levine. They were contemporary poets who wrote about working-class people and experiences and situations I was familiar with and didn’t realize you could write poetry about.

The Shield: What do you tend to write about with your poetry?

Graham: Certainly, I write about my life and where I see my place in the world. I write a lot about contemporary issues and things and people. I’m interested in history a lot and where we stand as human beings right now.

The Shield: Why do these things interest you?

Graham: People interest me. The times we live in interests me. The world interests me.

The Shield: When did you start writing poems for “The Geography of Home?”

Graham: Ten years ago. It takes me a long time to write because I have to grade all these student papers.

The Shield: What has it been like balancing your career as a writer and a professor?

Graham: It’s always been a struggle. I save my summers for my own writing because I can’t do much writing during the school year, which is fine, it’s a good gig.

The Shield: What is the theme of “The Geography of Home?”

Graham: All the various aspects what we consider to be home.

The Shield: What does home mean to you?

Graham: Home is the past. Home is present. Home is travel. Home is books and all the places I’ve felt comfortable.

The Shield: What made you decided to write about that subject?

Graham: It’s just something I was thinking about over the years. Where have I been? Where am I going? Where do I feel comfortable?

The Shield: Are there any pieces form “Geography of Home” that really stick out to you?

Graham: There are a couple of longer poems in the middle of the book that I’m proud of because they’re less about me and they’re more about some larger literary and historical issues. I channeled some writers that I’ve admired, Walt Whitman, for example, and James Joyce and (W. B. Yeats) and Willa Cather.

The Shield: How do you think you have developed as a writer?

Graham: I hope I’ve become a better writer over the years, a smarter writer. I hope I become more sensitive, more understanding, all the things you hope to become as a person. As you get older, you hope to develop those positive things, and I hope that comes through in the writing as well.

The Shield: What advice would you give to someone wanting to get into poetry?

Graham: Take some creative writing classes, that’s a good way to start. Get a sense of what’s being written right now, what contemporary writing is all about. The main advice is just to read everything. Just read.

The Shield: What will students get out of the reading?

Graham: When I go to a good reading, it makes me want to go home and write. And I hope that my reading will inspire people to want to write and read.