Hammat chosen as next Dean of Students

Jennifer Hammat

Vice President for Student Affairs Marcia Kiessling announced the appointment of Jennifer Hammat as the university’s next dean of students following a national search.

Hammat currently serves as university Title IX coordinator for the Compliance, Diversity, and Ethics Office at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia and will assume her duties on May 6.

“Dr. Hammat has a great deal of experience in higher education that will be an asset to the Dean of Students Office as well as to the University,” Kiessling said in a press release. “She also has a passion for working with students, and I’m confident she will continue the important work we do in supporting our students and our campus community effectively.”

Hammat holds a bachelor’s degree in organizational communication from Murray State University and a doctorate and master’s degree in higher education administration from Texas Tech University.

The dean of students reports to the vice president for Student Affairs and serves as a member of the Provost’s Council and Student Affairs Directors Team. Hammat will be responsible for enhancing the university mission by engaging students in programs and services that help develop contributing members of a global society.

She will oversee the Dean of Students Office, Counseling Center and the University Health Center along with chairing the CARE Team and Eagle Experience Team. She will also serve as the primary advisor to the Student Government Association.

Hammat served in several roles at The University of Texas at Austin prior to her position at George Mason University, including being the associate vice president for University Compliance Services, assistant vice president for student affairs, and interim director for Texas Student Media from 2006 to 2015.

She served as the director, associate director and assistant director of its Student Judicial Program at Texas Tech University from 1998 to 2006. From 1995 to 1998 she served as the assignment coordinator and publications manager at the University of North Florida in Jacksonville.

Hammat is the recipient of The Eyes of Texas Award from the University of Texas at Austin, the President’s Quality Service Award from Texas Tech University, and a Communicator Award honoring excellence in marketing and communications.