After hours: ‘my pleasure’

Student meets new people through part-time job

Photo courtesy of Eleanor Sandberg

Each week The Shield will interview someone who is employed by the university. This week, The Shield interviewed Eleanor Sandberg, a junior creative writing major, about her job at Chick-fil-A.

The Shield: What do you do at Chick-fil-A?

Sandberg: We do stuff different every day depending what time you get in. I do cashier most of the time and sometimes I do fries or expo, like putting the stuff together. And sometimes cleaning stuff or calling out orders.

The Shield: Why get a job on campus?

Sandberg: Firstly, I just needed a job, and I didn’t have a car on campus. I had a friend who actually worked at Chick-fil-A at the time and he said it’s fun and easy and I won’t have to have a car to work there. So I applied and got the job. I just got a car now, but I’m not going to look for a job off campus because it’s just easier to work at a job on campus. Secondly, I’ve also worked in food before, and I did not like working in food services at any other job, but Chick-fil-A is pretty easy. It’s really clean which is awesome, the co-workers are pretty nice. And the customers are really nice too, and I think it’s because they expect us to be nice back and say, ‘my pleasure’ and stuff, and just playing back on that. Everyone’s really nice and the food is good.

The Shield: What are other positives about the job?

Sandberg: I like my supervisors and they are really good with scheduling. My schedule is kind of weird this semester based off some classes I signed up for and didn’t end up taking so I work a couple hours here, a couple hours there that are free. But they’ll pretty much work with you no matter what your schedule is. They’ll put me on for three hours if I need to, up to six and a half if I need to to get my hours in.

The Shield: How is creating your own schedule beneficial as a college student?

Sandberg: It’s awesome as a college student because if I didn’t have a job that worked with me and let me pick my own schedule then I would probably be working way less days a week. I’d probably be working somewhere I didn’t like because I’d have to find somewhere that would let me work a couple days a week at weird hours. And I won’t be making much money and paying off my loans and buying the things that I need.

The Shield: Why is it important as a college student to have a job?

Sandberg: For me, it’s because I was tired of texting my mom and asking for 20 bucks every two days. And I think she was probably tired of that too.

The Shield: What’s your favorite part of the job?

Sandberg: I think my favorite part of the job would be being the cashier because I know a lot of people now on campus that I didn’t know before and I only know them because they come to Chick-fil-A all the time. I was at Walmart and I heard someone shouting my name, and I look around and it was a customer from Chick-fil-A who comes there like three times a week and they remembered me, and I remembered them. We talked for a little bit, and it’s like people that I know now that I would have never met if it weren’t for it.