‘Reawakened’ enjoyable, yet unrelatable

Back to Article
Back to Article

‘Reawakened’ enjoyable, yet unrelatable

A ritualistic lifestyle is not very fun, so when New Yorker and high school senior Lily is troubled with the task of assisting a risen mummy in keeping a god from causing chaos, she takes on the adventure.

“Reawakened” by Colleen Houck brings a world of Egyptian mythology that clashes with modernity. Amon, the awakened Egyptian prince with godlike powers, experiences a whole new world full of technology and advancements, while Lily is taught by Amon of the Egyptian gods and experiences the abnormality of myths she once thought to be only stories.

Amon wakes up in a museum in New York City and it sets him behind his goal of raising his brothers to complete a grand ceremony, saving mankind. Instead, Amon, who can’t fully live without tying himself to Lily, brings her along on a journey to the Valley of the Kings in Egypt.

“Reawakened” is beautifully written, causing the readers to feel many emotions. Although the action never fails to entertain the readers, there are some problems within the book.

Lily is a character who seems to have no flaws. Her life is perfect, although she doesn’t enjoy it. Lily likes to observe people. She doesn’t care for the glamorous life of her parents, and as much as her parents push her into a respectful future, she stays humble. It is hard to relate to such a character.

Her boring life consisted of following her parents’ orders, and it isn’t until Amon shows up that she is able to do something she could only dream of. Amon also seems to have no flaws.

Amon is the charming prince who draws people to him as if he were the sun himself. He knows what his job is and doesn’t stray from his goal, even if he did take a liking to Lily. Amon knew that once he completed his goal, he would not be able to see Lily again.

Lily, not the typical spoiled New Yorker, and Amon, the endearing Egyptian prince, work well together. They learn from each other, and the audience learns about Egyptian mythology through their conversations.

The plot keeps the readers going. The couple runs into trouble after trouble, and although they get smarter and stronger after each encounter of evil, Lily and Amon know that a larger force of evil is coming their way.

The book teaches the audience about another culture, but it seems the only way it could do that is if an American girl were brought into the scenario. There are a lot of questions Lily asks Amon about the Egyptian myths, and it gets annoying. Questions are only used in a story to inform the readers about what’s going on, but it’s not always the best choice.

“Reawakened” is a good book, but there could be improvements. It’s a book that can be enjoyed the first time reading, but by the second time, there are a few aspects which stick out like a sore thumb.