Former Dean promoted to be USI’s next provost

President Ronald Rochon appointed Mohammad Khayum to become the university’s next provost effective Jan. 1, 2019.

Khayum was serving as the interim provost after the position was left vacant when Rochon, the former provost, was named as USI’s fourth president.

Rochon made the announcement official on Dec. 14 following a nationwide search, chaired by Vice President for Development David Bower.

Photo Credit: USI Photography and Multimedia
Mohammad Khayum has been appointed to become the university’s next provost effective Jan. 1, 2019.

“One of the most exciting components with regard to Dr. Khayum being appointed provost is the national search process,” Rochon said. “Having that many amazing qualified candidates apply to USI for this position speaks volumes about the campus, number one. For the campus community to bring forth recommendations of finalists, Dr. Khayum being one of them, again only speaks boldly about the process we have at this university.”

Among the four candidates who sought to become the university’s next provost, Khayum was the only in-house candidate running for the position.

“I am excited about appointing him because of his stewardship, his ambassadorship, his brilliance, his ability to hone in on what is important to students to be successful at our university campus in the most holistic way possible,” Rochon said. “This man is a well-known commodity across the nation within his academic discipline. He is well respected, and I think he will bring the kind of partnership to our campus to advance us with regard to all things academic in the boldest way possible.”

Rochon told The Shield in October that he was hopeful to receive a recommendation of a candidate by the end of the semester, but plans to introduce a candidate were likely to happen in the spring.

Khayum will serve as the chief academic officer and oversee Student Affairs and Outreach and Engagement. In his new role, Khayum will work to enhance the university’s academic programs, support the faculty and engage with the student body.

He will also work to collaborate with other Indiana higher education institutions as well as the community to help advance the university.

Khayum first joined the university in 1991 as a professor. He has since served as a department chair and associate dean and as the dean of the Romain College of Business since 2006.

In his 12 years serving as Dean, Kayum has “ twice led the extension of the college’s business and accounting accreditations from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) in 2008 and 2014, oversaw the creation of an accelerated Master of Business Administration Program and worked to establish the Romain College of Business Innovative Speaker Series,” the press release said.

Khayum has taught courses on the undergraduate and graduate levels focusing on global economics, statistics and macroeconomics. He received his bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Guyana, and master’s and doctoral degrees in economics from temple University in Pennsylvania.

Brian McGuire, an accounting professor, is currently the interim dean of the Romain College of Business, and a national search for the position of dean will commence in the spring.