Event to address sexual assault

The Dean of Students office will be sponsoring the second “Mustache for Consent” event Feb 13. Carissa Prince, the graduate assistant for the Dean of Students office said the event is meant to bring awareness to sexual assault and gender violence.  

The event will take place in the Traditions Lounge from 2-4 p.m.

“Students will see others coming together and bringing awareness to the issue and it will help them to know what to do and what steps to take if they find themselves dealing with some aspect of sexual assault,” Prince said.

“Mustache for Consent” is not a gender-specific event, it is meant to bring awareness to all who wish to be informed or involved.

“I wanted men to be involved. I didn’t want it to be a blaming or shaming thing, I wanted men and women to come together and sign the pledge and make it something that people of any gender would want to talk about” Prince said.

With a recent uprise in movements bringing light to sexual assault, such as the “Me Too” movement of 2017 and the drowning sea of black seen at the Golden Globes awards ceremony, it is now more important than ever to understand consent and all that the word entails.  

“We are on the platform to talk about (consent) and educate ourselves about it” Prince said. “To me, that’s some of the biggest things we can do to impact one another. At the age that we’re at, I feel it’s really important to bring up and learn and talk about it”  

The Dean of Students will be tabling and handing out mustache cups and bracelets to inform students about “Mustache for Consent”. Anyone who attends the event and signs the pledge will receive a free Purple T-shirt to help bring awareness to the issue.