Meet the court

Maggie Comer

Senior History Major

SpringFest dream performance: Florida Georgia Line.

What eatery on campus is most like your personality and why?

My personality is like Fiesta Fuego because I’m spicy and you never know what you’re going to get.

If you could change USI’s mascot, what would it be, what would you name it and why?

I would change our mascot to a wolf named Scout. Wolves are strong and free-spirited animals, and they represent protection. Born in the wild, wolves learn how to fend for themselves, get the resources they need, and survive. These are will tasks we learn in college so a wolf is fitting for a college mascot.

What inspired you to enter your field of study?

I have always wanted to be a teacher, because to me, teaching is more than knowing a subject and giving a lecture. Teaching is about making connections with students and educating the future generations who will, one day, be in charge. Teaching is about advocating for students who feel like they have no one on their side and being a cheerleader for every student.

Alex Hoffmann

Senior Radio/Television Major

What is the university lacking and how would it benefit students?

USI has some issues related to student-student advertisement and marketing. Some channels of media are not tapped, and it would give students the opportunity to interact more efficiently.

SubConnection. It is similar as I have a dynamic personality, and I have the ability to work with many people, but some students just aren’t fond of it.

I wouldn’t, the history behind Archie and the 101st Airborne Division is amazing!

What inspired you to enter your field of study and how?

My inspiration for joining the field of multimedia seeds from a passion to inform the world. Through various different platforms I am able to bring resources from all backgrounds and project them to many publics.

Morgan Fields

Senior Health Services Major

SpringFest dream performer: Justin Timberlake

The eatery on campus that is most like my personality type would be Cyclone Salad because it’s spunky and always fresh and the workers there are always happy and bubbly to meet a new friend! 😉

If I had the option to change USI’s mascot, I wouldn’t. I think that Archie is exactly what USI exemplifies. We’re strong, bold, and fearless and always soar for higher and better education.

What inspired me to enter the field of Occupational Therapy was my grandpa and my passion for helping others. Knowing that I will be going to work every day and changing people’s lives is what inspired me to go into OT.

Landen Weidenbenner

Senior Communication Studies Major

If you could travel anywhere for free, where would you go, how would you get there and why?

I would travel to Europe. I would visit German, Austria, and Italy. I would get there by plane. I chose these places because they have always intrigued me. Also, I want to go to Germany because of the rich, German heritage that runs in my family.

SpringFest dream performer: Adele.

The university lacks school spirit. Students just do not seem to be excited about USI. Walking around campus, I observe so many students wearing other college attire.

What is your most memorable USI moment?

My most memorable moment was with my two best friends, Taryn and Olivia. One night, we all decided to get into the fountain and take pictures with my selfie stick. It was such a blast, and we kind of felt like rebels by getting into the fountain.

Reagan Phelps

Senior

Major: Nursing

If I could travel anywhere for free I would go to Finland and stay at the Kakslauttanen hotel.  I’ve always wanted to see the northern lights and staying in a glass igloo would be the icing on the cake.  I would fly over seas and then drive to my destination to be able to admire more of the country and snow.

SpringFest dream performer: Justin Beiber.

What is your most memorable USI moment?

I have many memorable moments at USI but one night that I will never forget was my first night in the campus dorms. The weather sirens went off and I started to freak out like a little baby because I thought a tornado was coming to get me.  In my hometown the sirens were only used for tornadoes and rarely went off.  After being made fun of by my roommate she finally told me that it was just a thunderstorm warning.

My mom was the first person to inspire me to become a nurse.  She showed me the importance of helping others and what better way than by saving lives.

Brock Edwards

Junior Special Education Major

If you could travel anywhere for free, where would you go, how would you get there? I’ll go with St. Louis! Chicago and Nashville are other considerations. I love big cities and I am a big Cardinals fan. Plus there is so much to do there. I would prefer car since it is a short trip. Also, Clark Griswold once said “Getting there is half the fun!”

SpringFest dream performer: Chase Rice.

What is the university lacking and how would it benefit students? School pride.  Going to basketball games this year (has) been a lot better. However, I just feel students are not proud of their school.  USI is a great place to be and it has done a lot for me.

What inspired you to enter your field of study? I really enjoy helping people out.  While I was in school I would love to help out other students.  I befriended someone who had Autism and it really took off from there.  I hope to get into coaching and possibly administration.

Megan Webster

Senior Spanish, Anthropology Double Major

SpringFest dream performer: Ed Sheeran

The university is lacking strict visitor parking in the on campus apartments. There are some spots, but it seems like the visitors have to walk a long distance. Also, there should be more blue security poles on the trails.

If you could add one class to USI’s curriculum what would it be and why?

I think there should be a mandatory self-defense class added to the core curriculum, and it should be for men and women. It would be a good way to ensure that everyone knows how to take care of themselves.

If you had to hang out in one building on campus for 24-hours, which would it be and why?

I would pick the library because it is full of everything I would need for 24 hours. I could get food and drinks from Starbucks or the vending machines, I would have so many movies and books to keep me entertained, the chairs are comfortable enough to sleep in, and I would have a magnificent view of the sunset from the quiet reading room.

Patrick Hansen

Senior History Major

SpringFest dream performer: Linkin Park with Mike Shinoda

The biggest thing that campus is missing is student involvement. If more students were to be involved in campus organizations I feel like it it would help to make USI feel like a more established school and help to get rid of the “west side high” stereotype.

What is your most memorable USI moment?

My favorite memory from USI would have to be getting the chance to go on tour of Ireland with the Chamber Choir.  I can’t think of anything much cooler than being able to sing in St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Dublin.

If you could add one class to USI’s curriculum, what would it be?

If I could add one class to the curriculum it would be a history of sports and their impact in society. Since I’m a history major and have played sports my whole life I would be really interested to know where my favorite sports got their starts.

Lauren Fuhs

Junior Management, Public Relations Double Major

Minor: Human Resources and a Minor in Advertising

SpringFest dream performer: Britney Spears or Florida Georgia Line

I could never understand why schools haven’t offered a class about the fundamentals of life. We are all soon to enter the real world, and many students still do not know how to understand taxes, decipher job benefits/insurance, handle money in savings accounts, or even basic cooking skills. I still ask my parents about the little things, and the cooking part, well, I think that ship has already sailed!

That one is easy, the REC! Any of the other buildings would probably lead me to having to study for 24 hours. Being in the gym would allow opportunities to play games, workout, watch TV, and if needed, catch up on some homework. There is also a rock wall in the Rec that can be challenging, so I would use much of the time trying to tackle that obstacle.

To be honest, this question kind of throws me for a loop. I would have to say having a lion would be the ultimate mascot. This Lion would have a large mane, and I would call him Simba. I loved the Lion King growing up, and Simba was always a strong leader of the pack. Lions are fearless and full of pride. I think those are qualities USI students should have when promoting the school and competing in sports.

Rob Rich

Senior Marketing Major

If you could travel anywhere for free, where would you go, how would you get there and why? I would travel to a tropical island off the coast of Thailand. I’m an introvert and enjoy spending most of my time free time in peaceful areas. Thailand has some of the most remote, yet breathtakingly gorgeous islands in the world. I would get to one of these islands initially by flight, then by boat ride.

SpringFest dream performance: All American Rejects

If you had to hang out in one building on campus for 24-hours, which would it be and why? The business building. Have you seen how much cool stuff they have in there? Seriously, I could keep myself occupied for 24-hours easily just watching the digital screens.

What inspired you to enter your field of study and how? When I was 10 years old I began buying and selling baseball cards like stock. I would load up on the desirable cards of players that I deemed to be a potential star, and then I would unload and sell these cards when a player performed at a high caliber. This is what sparked my interest in business and what lead me to study marketing.

Renaye Wahl

Senior Chemistry Major

SpringFest dream performer: Imagine Dragons

What is your most memorable USI moment?

I believe my most memorable moment at USI was seeing the completion of the Brain Drain Zombie 5K Obstacle Course put on October 31, 2015.  I am the Chairperson of the SAB, which puts on this event.  I had a crazy amount of responsibility and effort put into that event.  I was very memorable to see the end of that day, and have a successful run.

I would add a “Tech Savvy” class, which would help students learn all the secret tricks to iPhones, Androids, laptops, computers, etc.  With the constant advancements in technology, I feel it is important to get the most out of the devices we have and know how to use them to our advantage.

Starbucks, if it is even considered an eatery.  I am obsessed with coffee and caffeine (I am a recently retired barista).  I am all about coffee and am obsessed with quick on-the-go food such as oatmeal, sandwiches, and granola bars.  These are all the things I have at my apartment (I hate cooking), so what Starbucks has is basically no different than what I have in my kitchen.

Evan Stieler

Junior Biology / Premedicine

What is your most memorable USI moment?

The second day into my freshman year, I ended up getting confused and going to the wrong classroom.  I was trying to get to English 201 but quickly learned that I had landed in a Human Sexuality class.  As a naïve freshman, I sat in the back traumatized by the subject and was unable to muster up the courage to get up and leave the class.  Funny enough, I ended up willingly taking that class a year and a half later.

I would change us to the USI Awesome Possums. Who doesn’t love a good rhyme?  Plus, the name already asserts how awesome we truly are. Our student section would be called “The Awesome Posse.” It just makes sense! If the games were not going well, our Awesome Possum mascot could just play dead until the game turned around.

When I was thirteen years old, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. This disease prevents me from consuming anything that contains wheat, rye, or barley flours.  I was devastated that my favorite Donut Bank chocolate long johns were all of sudden off limits… My doctor was a great help throughout this transition. He always offered great support and encouragement during my struggles. Throughout shadowing physicians, I have seen the great, positive impact doctors can have on their patients, and this opportunity motivates me to work hard in becoming a successful physician.