Hips & Salsa

RFWC offers Latin dance class

Richard+Schuler%2C+a+senior+engineering+major%2C+spins+dance+partner+Dakota+Fleetwood%2C+a+junior+psychology+major%2C+as+Paola+Marizan%2C+the+student+instructor+of+the+Latin+Dance+Class+that+takes+place+Mondays+and+Thursdays+in+the+RFWC%2C+gives+them+pointers.+

Alyssa Smith

Richard Schuler, a senior engineering major, spins dance partner Dakota Fleetwood, a junior psychology major, as Paola Marizan, the student instructor of the Latin Dance Class that takes place Mondays and Thursdays in the RFWC, gives them pointers.

Paola Marizan discovered a passion for teaching Latin dances after attending  an event in Carter Hall last semester.

The senior journalism major, who previously worked for The Shield, was asked to teach a few salsa steps at the event alongside senior Alejandro Medina.

“That’s how we met,” she said. “I noticed we danced well together and I asked him if he wanted to start a class here.”

Marizan and Medina, an electrical engineering major, met with RFWC Program Coordinator Sandi Davis about starting a class.

“It was sort of like an audition,” Medina said. “We danced for her and then presented an outline of the class.”

Offered through the end of the semester, the class focuses on salsa and merengue.

“Merengue is faster than salsa, so the class is going to start with salsa,” Medina said. “As students get better, we hope to bring more merengue in.”

No previous dance experience is necessary, he said.

“You talk to other people, you dance with other people and have fun and exercise at the same time,” Marizan said.