Member of new sorority talks to The Shield

Photo courtesy of Tri Sigma
Photo courtesy of Tri Sigma

The Delta Eta chapter of Sigma Sigma Sigma became an official part of USI’s campus on Saturday with the installment of the new sorority and the initiation of its 62 members. The Shield talked to freshman pre-nursing major Brooke Summers Tuesday about what it means to be a member of Tri Sigma and about the process of joining USI’s Greek community.

Q: How long did it take the chapter to get approved? What was the process like?

A: I know that a few years ago, the idea of bringing Tri Sigma back to campus was brought up. We used to have a chapter here on campus, but it died and is now being reestablished. The process started when some of the girls from our nationals came to USI and recruited girls in the fall. We then went through the interview and bid process and then we became a colony, which is the beginning of becoming a chapter.

Q: How long have you been planning to join or how long have you been a member?

A: I planned on joining a sorority in high school. I went through formal recruitment and then I went through informal Tri Sigma recruitment. I realized immediately that it was home. I got along so well with all my new sisters and I could be my total and complete self around them. That’s how I knew that I made the best choice in joining Tri Sigma. I have been a member since October, which was when we all received bids. Now that we are all initiated, we are all full members and will be for the rest of our lives.

Q: What does it mean to you and your sisters to be recognized by the university?

A: Being a part of this amazing organization and on a campus like USI is truly amazing. We have been welcomed with open arms from all of the other Greek organizations on campus and we appreciate that so much. I know me and some of my other sisters have been identified and congratulated today for becoming an officially installed chapter on USI’s campus.

Q: What is the sorority’s story? What does Tri Sigma stand for? What is one of its biggest goals this year?

A: Tri Sigma has five main values: faith, love, hope, power and wisdom. Tri Sigma builds women with character. Our philanthropy is the Sigma Sigma Sigma Foundation – Sigma Serves Children, where we raise money to send to children in hospitals. Our motto is Faithful Until Death, which means that once we are sisters, we will be sisters forever. Our biggest goal this semester is to grow our sisterhood and do great things on campus and in the community. We are going to be participating in intermurals and Greek Week, and we will be hosting our own philanthropy event as well as attending others.

About the Contributor
James Vaughn, Chief Copy Editor