Goodbye, USI

I’m sitting here at my desk in The Shield Office thinking about how lucky I am and crying. And trying to shove the crap I have accumulated in this place into little boxes. And crying.

I literally can’t understand how four years have gone by so quickly. I mean, I’m completely perplexed – if one of you can help me understand this mysteriously quick passing of time, I would appreciate it. I think I’ve been sucked into a black hole.

When I walk across the stage in the Physical Activity Center Saturday, I know a collective sigh of relief will issue throughout the crowd. I will no longer be here to ask the administration hard questions they don’t want to answer (but don’t worry, I have trained my predecessors well).

In all honesty, I had my doubts about USI when I came here, but the reasons I stayed are far more different than the reasons I came.

I stayed because I truly work for one of the most hard-working student newspaper staffs in the nation (back to back best Division II Newspaper in the state, holla).

I stayed because the opportunities you can receive at USI are endless if you have the drive and determination necessary to look for them. You get what you put into your college experience.

So even though I tell myself I’m not ready, I know USI wouldn’t kick me out of this place if I wasn’t.

Not only did I learn important things in textbooks, I grew as a person. Who I am today is completely different than who I was four years ago.

So to quote my spirit animal and faux-Indiana native Leslie Knope/Amy Poehler, “Great people do things before they’re ready. They do things before they know they can do it. Doing what you’re afraid of, getting out of your comfort zone, taking risks like that – that is what life is.”

This is my challenge to you: continuously push yourself outside of your comfort zone because only then are you truly living.