Sophomore organizes first grad expo

Jessie Hellmann

Sophomore German and political science major Stephanie Deig wants to go to grad school, but she knows it’s expensive.

This is exactly why she took on the task of putting on the first ever graduate exposition at USI, to help student’s learn more about graduate school.

Representatives from 11 schools from the tri-state area will gather so students can receive information about graduate school at 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Oct. 17 in Carter Hall.

“I always thought it was silly,” Dieg said. “We don’t have a graduate exposition for students here because our graduate schools don’t really have that much to offer in the sense of not a lot of programs.”

The financial aid office will demonstrate “Eaglenomics” for attendees.

“(Eaglenomics) will give you a breakdown of all the debt you’ll probably incur in college, which is terrifying, but also very useful,” Deig said.

Students can talk to current graduate students on the student panel about how they approached grad school, and the struggles it brought.

“It’s a sit down conversation,” Deig said. “It’s very informal, where you talk to people who have gone through what you’re about to go through.”

The exposition will include admission exams sessions as well for the student who is considering applying to grad school within the next year.

“(The exposition) might encourage somebody to go to graduate school when they haven’t previously thought about it, or it could discourage some people who weren’t really well informed on it and shouldn’t be going,” Deig said.

Graduate student Nicholas John is in the Master’s of Business and Administration program and will talk to students about graduate school as a member of the student panel.

He would like to be a musician but will settle for being a businessman instead.

“I’m doing this so I can climb the ladder higher and get a better understanding of business,” John said.

John said professionalism separates undergraduates from graduate students.

“It’s easier to work with people because people take more initiative when doing group work,” John said. “As an undergrad we’d meet in the library maybe the Saturday before it was due.”

He said finding a job has become a struggle while completing his master’s.

“I’m like one of the only ones that doesn’t have a career in there,” John said. “Probably a lot of people are getting their work to pay for it and they already know what they’re going to do with it and I’m still looking for a job. “

Career Services and Placement Director Phil Parker helped Deig in preparing for the exposition.

“It was nice for a change for students to come to us with their ideas on career type events, so we don’t have to guess what you want,” Parker said.

He said representatives from graduate schools attend the career fairs at USI, but he feels it’s time they have a separate event because the school has grown, and the students are ready.