Don't put all of your eggs in one basket!

Jake Tapley

I have seen the type of college student who tends to focus solely on their education. Usually, this is not considered to be a bad thing. In and of itself, focusing on education is quite beneficial in the long run.

However, with so much attention being placed on maintaining the Dean’s List notoriety, I wonder if they might be sacrificing some opportunities in the process. I am sure that these students would find greater benefit in broadening their horizons.

I would encourage them to look at the bigger picture. When employers look to hire someone, they are not going to simply focus on that person’s academic records.

Employers are going to look at the accumulation of achievements presented on their resume. Jobs they have held, positions they have acquired, rewards they have received, internships they have participated in – these are the things that will all be taken into equal parts consideration, along with GPA and the like. So students should not put all of their eggs in one basket – employers are looking for related experience, too.

Employers just want to know that you will be able to perform the tasks they need you to perform. Whoever told you that school or education should be the utmost priority twisted the truth.

Now, don’t get me wrong – this does not mean that you should cut back on studying or put off homework. I am just saying when thinking ahead toward the future, take a look at the whole spectrum.

We live in a society where there are students pursuing degrees that will have trouble finding employment for years to come. We live in a society where employment is not, in any way, guaranteed with a college degree. It takes a greater level of achievement now.

The competition is absolutely fierce. So why would you knowingly set yourself behind the curve – especially since you know where the curve is?Continue on with your education.

Continue doing what you are doing. Just know that, in the long run, that may not be enough. In the long run, you will be judged by your accomplishments. You will be viewed as a physical representation of everything you have been a part of that is deemed important. And what you have to show for yourself will be entirely up to you.