Greek life students draw murals for Greek Week

Greek+life+students+work+on+murals+for+the+Chalk+Mural+Contest+by+the+Fuquay+Welcome+Center.+Teams+receive+points+from+the+contest+that+go+toward+their+fraternity+or+sorority+for+Greek+Week.+

Photo by: Josh Meredith

Greek life students work on murals for the Chalk Mural Contest by the Fuquay Welcome Center. Teams receive points from the contest that go toward their fraternity or sorority for Greek Week.

Hayden Olberding, Editor-in-Chief

Students drew murals representing their fraternity or sorority to compete in a mural competition for Greek Week 2021. 

The Chalk Mural Contest on Wednesday was the fourth event in Greek Week. Teams representing a Greek chapter design a mural on the walkway that runs along the left side of the Fuquay Welcome Center.

Kenna Davidson, a junior special education major, helped create the mural for Sigma Sigma Sigma. Her team’s mural is a comic book character with tattoos that represent her sorority and Greek Week.

“I think it’s just to kind of spread awareness of Greek unity and how we can all come together with some friendly competition,” Davidson said.

Greek Week was especially different to see everyone together since the beginning of the pandemic, she said.

Greek Week gives students a chance to go out and meet members of other fraternities, said Blake Brewington, sophomore economics major.

“It’s nice to kind of get out and see some fresh faces that are also involved in Greek life and have similar interests,” Brewington said.

He said members of Greek life haven’t been able to participate in many mixers because of the pandemic and he saw that impact in his fraternity, Tau Kappa Epsilon. 

“I feel like COVID kinda gave us the tendency to clique off a little bit,” Brewington said. “It’s nice we’re finally getting back to some normalcy though.”

Brewington worked on a mural of a retro TV with Hunter Smith, a junior civil engineering major. Their team’s genre is R&B and has a running theme of astronauts. Their team’s banner featuring astronauts and The Weekend won the banner competition Monday.

These are the banners submitted by teams for the Greek Week Banner Competition. Tau Kappa Epsilon was one of the winners, their banner depicted The Weekend (third from right). (Photo by: Josh Meredith )

Samantha Victor, a sophomore health administration major, worked on Alpha Sigma Tau’s mural.

She said the mural represents the genre of Hip-Hop through graffiti, a boombox and Greek Life with gold chains.

Greek week continues through Saturday with events like Philanthropy Day, Dance Comp and a volleyball tournament.