Roommate Rivalries: The Shower Charade

Throughout college, many students are placed in an environment in which they are forced to share their living space with others.

Though these roommate relationships are often assumed to consist of constant arguing and mutual loathing for everyone involved,  many students enjoy the bond they are able to form with one another.

However, one of the constant struggles endured by students with roommates is the infamous shower war.

Nothing quite compares to the tiny burst of rage that rises within an individual once she feels her shower water running cold. For a second it seems as though it has decreased only slightly in temperature due to the length of time she has been showering.

However, as the temperature plummets to freezing lows, she realizes there must be another contributing factor. Oblivious to the fact that she has just transitioned into the second act of her headlining concert with Beyonce, her roommate has decided that she is also going to take a shower and embark on her own musical journey.

The disrespect is unfathomable.

Rather than become unnecessarily structured and organize a calendar complete with specific showering times for each roommate, most students are capable of acting as adults, and therefore will practice courtesy when deciding when or when not to bathe.

However, there seems to always be one roommate who conveniently decides to shower at the same time as one of the other members of the household.

This lack of consideration is a direct representation of flawed logic, perhaps even character, and is rather inconvenient to the individuals who have waited for their respected turn to enjoy an uninterrupted cleansing of the mind and soul.

Though this is indeed one of the near insignificant roommate conflicts, one has to understand the value that lays within the ability to enjoy a hot shower. Some students were raised in homes where showers were rare and hot water even more so.

To be able to enjoy a long, hot shower is a delicacy in the eyes of those who were not able to experience such a privilege.

Also, because of overwhelming amounts of homework and life responsibilities, many are unable to set aside time for themselves and fail to properly maintain their physical and emotional health.

Taking a relaxing shower at the end of a long day exists as the only time these students are able to unwind and clear their minds, so it is understandable how one can become upset when this opportunity is ruined for him because of someone else’s inconsiderate actions.

Of course, all roommates are different and any and all shower business is up to the discretion of those in question. However, there is no harm in taking simple steps that will help avoid the unfortunate shower debacle.

Before taking a shower, ask around to make sure no one else was planning on showering at the same as you were. Doing so will not only properly inform your roommates of your intentions, but will also allow you to work out any possible conflicts with the timing of your decision.

If this fails to solve the problem…all is fair in love and war.