Making Time for Hobbies

Being a college student is anything but easy. With five or more classes to attend, part-time jobs, studying and homework, there’s hardly time to breathe for college students.

So how in the world can one find time to do things for their own entertainment? How can one find the time to relax and take a break?

Reading is one of my favorite hobbies. I’ve been reading for fun as long as I’ve been able to process the meaning of words. I always try make time to read for myself, no matter what.

However, a question I frequently get when people discover that I read for fun is how I ever make time for it. Don’t I have studying and homework to do? Why yes, of course I do.

Aren’t you an English major who has to write and read assigned material for classes? Yes, but when I focus solely on school, I get really stressed out. I feel miserable and feel a bit lost from myself. I feel like a machine.

Reading is one of the things that helps me escape from the stress of school and the world.

When I chose my classes for the semester, I made sure I left an hour or two between a few specific classes to ensure I would have time to study beforehand if ever needed to. When I don’t have a test or quiz to worry about, I use the free time I have between classes to read or watch videos.

Something that’s helped me manage my time is plan out my studying and homework schedule a few days or even a week ahead of time.

I used to be a big procrastinator and would study or do homework the day before it was due. This year I’ve changed things up by finishing homework the day it is assigned or two days before it is due, so I don’t have to worry about getting it done as much.

Even if I have a lot of homework assigned in one week, I try to finish everything before the weekend. I often have classes where there is homework due Monday, so I make an exception to procrastinate on that homework until Sunday, which is a day I utterly devote myself to errands and homework. Thus, leaving my Friday evening and the whole of Saturday open for socializing or taking a break from studies to read or do whatever else I wish to do.

As a college student, you have most of your week scheduled with classes. If you’re looking to make time for yourself and whatever favorite pastimes you may have, I’d recommend putting a stop to procrastination and to start scheduling out when you’re going to study and do homework.

To some it may seem tedious, but honestly, planning out your week and not having to worry about doing homework at the last minute can help to reduce stress and increase some free time for hobbies. It’s all about scheduling things at the right time and learning to work around your schedule.