Student brings gun onto campus

Bobby Shipman

A USI distance education student came to campus Wednesday with a gun in holster.

Police were called around 2:50 p.m. about a female on the third floor of the Science Center with a handgun on campus.

A Public Safety officer questioned the woman and when two sheriff’s deputies arrived on scene, she was escorted willfully back to her truck.

Assistant Vice President for Marketing and Communications Kindra Strupp said the woman came to campus to take an exam and was unaware of the policy.

Strupp said when she was informed of the policy she was cooperative.

The woman had a license to carry the weapon, but was unaware they were not allowed on campus, Strupp said.

No arrest was made.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available. 

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Student brings gun onto campus”

1. Student escorted off campus for carrying a gun on February 18th, 2015 4:33 pm

[…] Student brings gun onto campus | The Shield It just got real! Reply With Quote […]

2. urance on February 19th, 2015 12:22 am

With all the gun violence at schools common sense would have played a role in the mind of the woman. Some people always want to prove a fact or want extreme attention. Its a shame this woman had to crave the attention with so many young students. That gun display was an act of ridiculous mind set. Oblivious she wasn’t minority, they didn’t even feel there was a threat. If that had of been a minority, handcuffs, the SWAT, K9 unit and every police officers within a 100 mile radius would’ve been at USI. Picture of the student plastered all over the news explosion and an arrest would’ve been made. There is zero tolerance for firearms or knives or any weapon at any school that’s written in the rules and hand books given the first admission on campus. I don’t get the nonchalant reaction of the incident. Now you will have some copycat mimicking this incident, but probably will do something radical because one student got away with unexceptable: against school policies rule.

3. Kim on February 19th, 2015 6:25 am

I disagree with the policy. But as for the “nonchalant” reaction, it was exactly per policy. It’s not illegal for her to carry on campus, it’s just against school policy. They can ask you to leave, but she did nothing illegal. No cause for alarm.

4. Taz on February 19th, 2015 6:02 am

Obviously Urance knows nothing of the law. This woman did nothing wrong and there wasn’t cause for an arrest.

5. Kim on February 19th, 2015 6:24 am

The state schools should not be allowed to have such policies that suppress your rights. And the ignorance of some people is astounding. They are around licensed carriers all day long at grocery stores, malls, parks and they think when the person walks on campus that they became a bad guy. A woman out alone at night, going to take a test, SHOULD have a way to defend herself.

6. Mark on February 19th, 2015 7:14 am

Since when do the police enforce a campus policy? If she was unaware, just tell her – problem solved.

7. Craig on February 23rd, 2015 4:05 pm

I’m sure that campus, like most campuses, will simply ask that the person leave or be considered trespassing. The police are there in case the person refuses to leave. They can then charge them with trespassing and if it comes to it, remove them from the premises.

8. Tim Cotton on February 20th, 2015 7:11 am

I don’t see the issue with her carrying a gun. It is an extremely good thing that she has taken a personal role in her own self-protection. I don’t see why she was escorted by police off of the campus. Unless an administrator/representative of the campus asked her to leave, she wouldn’t be required to leave campus. Police would only be required if she refused. That is standard trespass law.

9. Ingoer on February 22nd, 2015 2:38 am

Not certain why she was removed or why there was concern.

She should be allowed to carry moving forward into the future and the individual who was concerned with her carrying should study the Bill of Rights and be aware that not just cops are allowed to carry a firearm. Indiana has a very high percentage of licensed firearm carriers and people are surrounded by them each and everyday without knowing or realizing it. I hope the school will consider changing it’s policy as it puts students in danger. In the unfortunate Florida State library shooting, one of the victims who was shot and survived was actually a licensed firearm carrier in the state of Florida but due to school policy was unable to carry legally on campus. As such, he was a helpless victim as were others.

I wish this girl the best of luck moving forward from this and do truly hope that the person or persons who called the police with the concern are kindly educated regarding firearms or even invited to a range where they can learn the safe handling of them.

The news and media tell us college campuses are dangerous places for women, as rape and assault are a real threat. USI tells female students to not defend themselves, and if you’re going to be raped, assaulted, or abducted to please do it by the blue emergency call box so you can push the button for the campus security to help you as soon as they can get to you… 0_o

Student brings gun onto campus