Rain or shine

Eagles Night Out adds fun even to campus

nopicDespite the rain Eagle’s Night Out was a success Emily Baroffs said.

The sophomore nursing major said the necessary change of location did not affect the turnout at the carnival

“It’s a lot better of a turnout than we expected with our last minute location change,” Baroffs said. “The location change was pretty simple. Our bosses communicated it to us very effectively and then we just got the word out to our residents through either group messages or just going around door to door.”

The carnival included food like corn dogs and cotton candy, BINGO, an inflatable obstacle course, face painting, a raffle, and more.

When the event started there was already a line in which students had to wait a few minutes to sign in and receive their raffle ticket.

Tim Luczak, a junior and public relations major, said that in his years at USI he has definitely started to see more recreational activities like Friday night’s carnival available for students on campus.

“I think there has been an increase in really getting to the fun events like these,” he said

Although the event was fun and well attended, Luczak thinks it could have had better advertising.

“I think it could always be a little more well-advertised,” he said, “but the turnout was pretty good.”

This view was shared by several other students including Junior Cheyenne Grimes, an elementary education major.

She said she would like to see similar events for the communities living in the apartments.

Grimes spent the majority of her time at the carnival, playing ring toss and having fun with her friends.

“I live in the apartments now and there is not as much community stuff in the apartments that I have heard about,” she said

Like many of the organizers and attendees of Friday’s carnival, sophomore Courtney McGuire, an exercise science major thought that overall the evening was a success, and thought he RA’s of McDonald West and O’Daniel South were able to provide a night of fellowship for their residents and the entire USI community.

McGuire says that the most apparent mark of success is the number of people staying for the duration of the event rather leaving early.

“The successful part of this is that a lot of people came out and are actually staying the entire time.” McGuire said. “It is really a benefit because we were able to reach out to our residents and get them involved on campus.”