University to perform banned play

Abigail Suddarth, Staff writer

King Louis XIV of France banned “Tartuffe” after its first performance.

The theatre department will perform the comedy written by Moliere at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 19- 21 and at 2 p.m. Nov. 22 at the Performance Center.

“It was banned because Louis XIV believed that there was a risk that people would come see it and not realize that some people can be very religious without behaving badly,” assistant professor of theatre Eric Altheide said.

Each of the play’s five acts run about 20 to 25 minutes with an intermission between Acts III and IV.

The play depicts Tartuffe attempting to swindle religious aristocrat Orgon out of his home and money by pretending to act as Orgon’s religious adviser, the play’s director said.

“(Orgon is described as) being very intelligent and loving,” he said. “But because he has become under the control of Tartuffe he has begun treating his family badly.”

Although Orgon promises his daughter Marianne’s hand in marriage to Tartuffe, Altheide said, Tartuffe develops a crush on Orgon’s wife Elmire, played by Enjoli Drake.

“Elmire is the quintessential wife, striving to protect her husband from himself,” Drake said. “Even if it is without his knowledge.”

While Orgon and his mother Madame Pernelle fall for Tartuffe’s tricks, the junior theatre arts performance major said, the rest of the family mistrusts him.

“My favorite part about playing this role, “Drake said,“is that I get to take my natural over dramatic tendencies and fit them within the context of this show.”

The cast began rehearsing on Oct. 19 and meets five days a week for four to five hours a day.

“My favorite part has been working with the entire cast,” theatre performance major Ashleigh Dulik said. “They’re really funny and they’re fun to work with.”

Dulik, who plays Madame Pernelle, said her character demands attention whenever she enters a room.

“She thinks that she’s the wisest and most devout, virtuous thing that ever was,” the freshman said. “But really she’s just old and bitter and she’s going to tell everyone what she thinks of them no matter how harsh.”

Dulik most enjoyed finding her character, she said.

“At first I thought it was just a character that wanted to yell at everyone and come in all big and crazy,” she said, “but really I found that she’s above everyone so she does not need to raise her voice to get the point across.”

Finding their characters was challenging and fun for all the actors, Dulik said.

“We all have run into finding who our characters truly are,” she said. “And characterize them in a way that makes sense and is also true to the text.”

Fast Facts

What: Tartuffe

Location: Performance Center

When: 7:30 p.m. Nov. 19-21, 2 p.m. Nov. 22

Cost: $7 for USI students; $10 for USI employees, seniors and non-USI students; $12 for adults