Adjunct ackowledges sexual abuse allegations, according to EPD report

Schriber
Schriber

UPDATE: Vanderburgh County Republican Party Chairman Wayne Parke released a statement that he sent to Republican City Council at-large candidate Jack Schriber saying he was disappointed to learn of the news of the candidate’s inappropriate relationship with a student.

“Even though at this point, as a candidate, you may not ‘voluntarily’ withdraw from the ballot,” Parke wrote. “As County Chairman, I believe it is in the best interest of all concerned that you end your campaign immediately.”

Parke added that the Central Committee will immediately withdraw all assistance and end any communications or coordination with Schriber and his election team.

According to the election calendar, the deadline to withdraw from the ballot was July 15.

4 p.m. Tuesday Mayor Lloyd Winnecke released a statement saying Schriber’s actions are inexcusable.

“I am very disappointed an deeply saddened by these developments,” the statement reads. “I have directed Chairman Wayne Parke to take the necessary actions for ending Jack Schriber’s campaigne.”

3:35 p.m. Tuesday Adjunct communications instructor Jack Schriber told the police he had a sexual relationship with a minor during his time as a teacher at Central high School, according to a report by the Evansville Police Department.

Schriber is also the Republican City Council at-large candidate. According to the election calendar, the deadline to withdraw from the ballot was July 15.

According to the report, the victim said that he was between the ages of 15 and 17 when he was “coerced into a nonconsensual sexual relationship” with Schriber.

Schriber, at the time, was an English teacher and supervisor of fine arts at Evansville Central High School in Evansville from 1970 to 2007, when he retired.

The victim said, according to the report, that he was “coerced … throughout the two years that the relationship lasted” and that he felt he could not end the relationship with Schriber without “suffering penalties to his academic and extracurricular school career.”

The victim also said he believed there may have been other students Schriber coerced into nonconsensual sexual relationships.

The victim came forward to police July 20, according to the report.

Schriber said he wrote a letter of apology to the student per the suggestion of Detective Brian Turpin.

“Those days at Central still have many mixed emotions,” the letter Schriber wrote reads. “I was much younger and boundaries between student and teacher often became blurred. In this case sexual boundaries were blurred and you became the victim. This was NOT of your doing, in any way.”

In the letter Schriber also apologizes to the victim for any aguish that has been afflicted.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available. The Shield has sent out requests to Schriber and the university for comment.