The student news site of the University of Southern Indiana

Letter: Rather than disapprove, improve

After reading and hearing about the uproar caused by Brenna Wu’s opinion article “The Greek Life PR Ploy,” I have to say that there seems to be quite a trend in drastic reactions from Greek Life regarding criticism.

When I had a position as staff writer for my current college paper, we published an opinion piece that essentially told Greeks to “grow up.”

Trust me, that certainly was not well received either, but was much more offensive in content than Wu’s, where she asked her fellow Greek members to be more supportive for athletic teams outside of basketball.

Wu has a right to an opinion, and should not have to be ridiculed for having one.

Additionally, there is no basis to argue she is not familiar with athletics or Greek life, being she is of both.

For those who see such an article as offensive, please recognize that criticism is internal and that Wu, as guaranteed by the first amendment, can exercise her rights of freedom of speech and of the press as she pleases.

I highly suggest Greeks learn to take criticism such as Wu’s as constructive, rather than to find lashing out as a better response.

Mary Bradley
Editor-in-Chief
The Murray State News

1 Comment

One Response to “Letter: Rather than disapprove, improve”

1. Luke Williams on December 9th, 2014 10:44 pm

She didn’t just tell Greeks to be more supportive of other sports, that is at least understandable, Wu went out of her way to question why we have school spirit. How does that make sense? Why would you say something cruel like that? In my mind that is the same thing as saying people only give to the poor because it looks good, not because they generally want to help someone. That isn’t criticism that is just straight to the bone mean. To understand the Greek point of view on this, imagine that you do something because you love doing it, and for other reason but to help people, but to only have someone say that you’re an asshat (forgive my language) for doing it. I bet you would be pretty upset at that.

[Reply]

Letter: Rather than disapprove, improve